Once again, thank you for your support, BIRGIT.
Have a great week ahead!

George Frideric Handel - Italian Castrati in the London Oratorios (Carlo Vistoli)


Information

Composer: George Frideric Handel
  1. Concerto Grosso in D Minor, Op. 6 No. 10, HWV 328: I. Overture
  2. Esther, HWV 50b (1732 Version), Act II Scene 3: Aria. How can I stay when Love invites (Ahasuerus)
  3. Esther, HWV 50b (1732 Version), Act II Scene 3: Recitative. Who dares intrude into our presence (Ahasuerus, Esther)
  4. Esther, HWV 50b (1732 Version), Act II Scene 3: Duet. Who calls my parting soul from death? (Ahasuerus, Esther)
  5. Deborah, HWV 51 (1733 Version), Act I Scene 3: Recitative. I go where Heav'n and Duty call (Barak)
  6. Deborah, HWV 51 (1733 Version), Act I Scene 3: Aria. All danger disdaining (Barak)
  7. Deborah, HWV 51 (1734 Version), Act I Scene 1: Aria. Più bella spoglia sarà fral (Barak)
  8. Deborah, HWV 51 (1733 Version), Act II Scene 2: Recitative. Great Prophetess, my soul's on fire (Barak)
  9. Deborah, HWV 51 (1733 Version), Act II Scene 2: Aria. In the battle, fame pursuing (Barak)
  10. Belshazzar, HWV 61 (1751 Version), Act I Scene 2: Recitative. Can you then think it strange (Cyrus)
  11. Belshazzar, HWV 61 (1751 Version), Act I Scene 2: Aria. Great God! Who yet but darkly known (Cyrus)
  12. Theodora, HWV 68 (1750 Version), Act I Scene 2: Recitative. Most cruel edict! (Didymus)
  13. Theodora, HWV 68 (1750 Version), Act I Scene 2: Aria. The raptur'd soul defies the sword (Didymus)
  14. Theodora, HWV 68 (1750 Version), Act II Scene 6: Accompagnato, Recitative. Forbid it, Heav'n! (Didymus, Theodora)
  15. Theodora, HWV 68 (1750 Version), Act II Scene 6: Duet. To thee, thou glorious son of worth (Didymus, Theodora)
  16. Saul, HWV 53 (1741 Version), Act III Scene 5: Aria. Di Jonathan lo stral portò (David)
  17. Messiah, HWV 56 (1750 Version), Part I: Aria. But who may abide the day of His coming?
  18. Athalia, HWV 52 (1735 Version), Act III Scene 1: Recitative. Chi ha la pietade e 'l zelo (Joad)
  19. Athalia, HWV 52 (1735 Version), Act III Scene 1: Aria. Cor fedele spera sempre (Joad)
  20. Athalia, HWV 52 (1735 Version), Act III: Recitative. Now, Josabeth, thy fears are o'er (Joad, Josabeth)
  21. Athalia, HWV 52 (1735 Version), Act III: Aria. Angelico splendor (Joad)

Carlo Vistoli, countertenor
Giulia Semenzato, soprano (3, 4, 14, 15 & 20)
Le Concert d'Astrée
Emmanuelle Haïm, organ & conductor

Date: 2026
Label: Harmonia Mundi
_____________________

Countertenor Carlo Vistoli and soprano Giulia Semenzato explore George Frideric Handel's English oratorio repertoire as adapted for legendary Italian castrati like Senesino, Carestini, and Guadagni. Directed by Emmanuelle Haïm, Le Concert d'Astrée performs these transpositions, translations, and rewrites across masterpieces such as Esther, Saul, Messiah, and Theodora—including several world-première recordings of their Italian versions. Framed by Handel’s Concerto Grosso Op. 6 No. 10, this collection provides a vivid portrait of the star vocalists who directly shaped some of the composer's finest works.

Italian countertenor Carlo Vistoli began his vocal training in 2007, quickly earning international acclaim, including the 2023 Franco Abbiati Prize for Best Singer. Since his stage debut in 2012 and selection for William Christie’s "Le Jardin des Voix" in 2015, Vistoli has performed at prestigious global venues, including La Scala, the Vienna State Opera, and the Royal Opera House. Renowned for his interpretations of Baroque repertoire by Handel, Vivaldi, and Monteverdi, he regularly collaborates with world-class conductors like John Eliot Gardiner, Cecilia Bartoli, and Philippe Jaroussky. His extensive discography spans major labels such as Harmonia Mundi, Erato, and Arcana.

High Resolution 24-bit / 96 kHz

Comments

  1. Choose one link, copy and paste it to your browser's address bar, wait a few seconds (you may need to click 'Continue' first), then click 'Free Access with Ads' / 'Get link'. Complete the steps / captchas if require.
    Guide for Linkvertise: "Get Text" → Choose "Watch Ad", then click "Continue" → "Skip Ad" three times (or you can choose support this site by watching some ads).

    https://link-center.net/610926/jTJO4DYjH9u5
    or
    https://uii.io/qHAi1vpl4hVv
    or
    https://cuty.io/og5yui3Yl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment